its all about me, really...

SNAFUs, TARFUs and FUBARs just about summarizes the world we live in.

Name:
Location: Bukit Panjang, Singapore

Be gracious to one and all.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Home sweet home

Aahh... how nice to be home again..

was just discharged from TTSH this afternoon... remember my previous post where i said i was ill ? well, i didn't get better... got worse, actually..

Last week after consulting a GP and after taking his medication, well, i thought i was getting better... y'know, easier to breathe, less coughing, etc etc...

Last Friday evening, i was still enjoying a hearty dinner with my wife at Jurong Point's Soup Restaurant.. still a bit of cough here and there, a little wheezing, i thought i was fine.

Saturday afternoon, suddenly felt a little giddy, plus wheezing, plus coughing... so with nothing much to do, i decided to visit the same GP again... To both our surprise, my GP said that i was actually getting worse as the wheezing was much louder this time and since he has already prescribed their strongest available antibiotics, there's nothing much he could do except to send me to hospital... i had some trouble accepting that fact initially... but i actually felt worse.. so i said 'ok'.

He asked me if i wanted to call the ambulance to send me and i was thinking, if i were to go to any A&E, the normal time taken for triage and being warded would take anytime from 2 to 4 hours... and what would happen if i were to faint on my way to the A&E ? So i got the GP to activate the ambulance for me, on the pretext that i had breathing problems and was giddy. Also, i believed that if sent by ambulance, the time taken for triage and being warded would be cut down signifacantly.

i was to put on a mask with direct oxygen supply of 5 Litres while waiting for the ambulance.. when it did finally arrive, i decided against lying on the stretcher... with so many people looking on..

the trip to the hospital took around 25 minutes. And i was right. it took less than 1 and a half hour to get me admitted into my ward... however, too bad i was warded after 6pm. Their dinner round was at 530pm... drats.. I did not have anything to eat since 12pm...

anyway, from then till now, everyday is the same. wake up at 7am, shower, change, breakfast at 7:30am, medication at 830am, doctor's round between 930 to 11am, lunch at 1130am, medication at 1230pm, then its O.T.O.T. for those whose mobility is classified under "I - Independent", and dinner's served at 530pm, medication at 630pm, and its O.T.O.T. again till 930pm and lights out !

For saturday, sunday and monday, i was put on the nebuliser... its a mask, attached to a small plastic container, which is connected to an oxygen pump... the medication , "Ventolin" was put into the plastic container to be mixed with the oxygen supply and i was supposed to breathe in this mixture to open up the airway for me to breathe easier... this, i gotta to 3 times a day...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is a pic of me doing an impression of Darth Vader, haha... No, seriously, its me breathing the Nebuliser apparatus.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Here's a slight close up pic.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Gee.. talk about Devil's Breath.. hehe.. this is the so-called Nebuliser. The boxy apparatus pumps out oxygen into the mask on my face.

one thing that i was relieved of was, i did not need an IV drip. hehe.. that eases things so much... no need to carry extra pack wherever i go...

Food quality is ok, everything's steamed, no fried stuff.. so its all healthy food... but the food quantity is poor ! just a scoop of rice, one serving of vege and one serving of meat. Kinda pathetic but at least it tastes nice...

For the first three doctor's consultation, they diagnosed me as having a lung infection (Pneumonia), or an asthma attack... Its only this morning that the Respiratory expert diagnosed me as having "Acute Bronchitis"...

whatever the case, as we MEN-IN-GREEN are instructed, i got my colleague to report my status to my ops room. So, most superiors in my unit or office should know that i'm having lung infection or pneumonia, right ? And get this, two fella from my office, whom visited me on Monday, guess what they bought ? A big pack of chilled Peel Fresh Fruit Juice, and a bottle of chilled Pepsi... What don't they understand about pneumonia ? gee....

alright alright, so i shouldn't complain... ah well, i'm back home, and on medical leave till the end of the week...

WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTT !!!!!! :p

2 Comments:

Blogger the teacher said...

glad ur better bro !

Thursday, August 18, 2005 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger klinz said...

heh yup! Thanks, nic!

Thursday, August 18, 2005 3:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home