its all about me, really...

SNAFUs, TARFUs and FUBARs just about summarizes the world we live in.

Name:
Location: Bukit Panjang, Singapore

Be gracious to one and all.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Complains complains...

I was having breakfast at McDonald's at Bukit Panjang Plaza this morning. It was almost full house, packed with elderly people, adults, teenagers and of course, kids. This was the situation: the adults were rushing to grab seats for their elderly folks and young kids; teenagers were rushing to grab seats just to study; and the kids were screaming and yelling about what they want to have for breakfast. They call this a fast food joint. I call this an air-conditioned fish market. Its a Sunday, for goodness. Isn't Sunday a day to relax and take one's own sweet time to do whatever ? Oh I'm sorry, I'm in Singapore.

Nevertheless, we got our seats, just near one of the trash deposit corner. I finished my portion way ahead of my wife and was enjoying my cup of steaming black coffee while observing the bustling crowd in McDonald's.

Looking at the noisy ensemble, i was wondering how can those students study in such an environment ? The noise level was close to being ear piercing and irritating. How could they concentrate ? My wife and I had to raise our voices a few decibels to make ourselves heard in our conversation. This is so weird. I could understand if students were to "escape" to more soothing and relaxing environments like the viewing gallery at the airport, to study. But give me thousand and one reasons why studying in a noisy and crowded fast food restaurant helps. The one and only reason I can think of was, they are honing their level of concentration. This is bullshit.

The two things that they are doing are:
- hogging of precious seating and eating place,
- causing inconvenience to other patrons with their huge bags, files and folders placed on the floor.

They don't care if people are staring at them, shaking head at them. They just order a large cup of beverage and sometimes a large portion of fries, and they can seat there studying, chatting, laughing whole day long, while hungry patrons are left standing around waiting for a place to seat and eat. I pity those who have to dine there alone. They usually have to order first and find a seat later. On a Sunday, they have absolutely no chance.

Tell these students off, and there's a high chance that you'll get to see a face so dark that it looks like a hurricane about to be let loose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home