its all about me, really...

SNAFUs, TARFUs and FUBARs just about summarizes the world we live in.

Name:
Location: Bukit Panjang, Singapore

Be gracious to one and all.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

stray dogs' life.

My unit was the organiser of the Sheare's Bridge Run & Army Half Marathon which was held on Sunday, 27th August.

Being a member of my unit, being involved in the logistical preparations was natural. The role that me and my guys (22 of them) were playing ? The main logistic team's support force. It simply meant we were dogs. Unwanted stray dogs, and I'm the leader of the pack.

My team and i had to report to the area just opposite the Esplanade on Sat 1400hrs and we were supposed to be under the command of this particular CPT (Captain), let's call him CPT G. The main logistic team consisted of 3 main officers. Namely, CPT G, CPT D and CPT T. Each one of them was supposed to be in charge of different areas. (Note, the keyword here is "supposed".) CPT G's team and us were in charge of setting up the area for bag deposit.

In this organisation, the work culture is: work as hard and fast as we can, without compromising safety to others or ourselves, and then we can get a breather.

Not true. Well not at least for that day.

We worked our asses off unloading the equipments from the 5 tonner trucks, setting up the bag deposit counters and got the whole bag deposit procedure worked out and conducted trials to see if it worked. We took 3 hours to complete this task. Thereafter, I thought we could have a break, but no. Remember the keyword "supposed" ? We were supposed to be having our break but CPT T had to come and spoil our fun. Now we were to go help out CPT T's guys pack the goodie bags. Ok. No problem. We worked our spare asses off again. It was 1900hrs when we completed packing.

Dinner time right ?

Wrong again! We gotta help CPT D's guys load up the goodie bags into the 5 tonner trucks cos there's no storage area for the ten over thousands of them goodie bags. What's up with these officers nowadays. Don't they know where to draw the line ?

My guys and I were practically kicked between CPT G, D and T. That's why I said we felt like stray dogs. I personally believe even the most unlucky stray dog lead a much better life.

We worked and we WORKED! from Sat 1400hrs right up till 2045hrs when we had our dinner break till 2245hrs. Then it's back to work and more work from Sun 0100hrs right up till 1500hrs non-stop. This was worse than Basic Military Training.

And here's the clincher: I'm to attend a forklift operator course the next morning.

I was on the verge of tearing our my hair. The only consolation I had were the support that my 22 guys gave me.

This was only the Army Half Marathon. I'd hate to think what it would be like next year when it's my unit's turn to organise the National Day Parade.

Gee, then again, why not? Anyway, I won't be in the organisation by then!

Ariba! -Yuk yuk yuk-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home